Etzy

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lazy Days in Kuala Lumpur



I arrived in Kuala Lumpur after an uneventful flight via Singapore from Bali, and was met in the airport by the driver Marianne had sent to pick me up, and soon I was on the way, enjoying the ride and trying to see if I could recognize Kuala Lumpur and surroundings from my last visit some 14 years ago - the city really had changed, and even the airport was new, and it's about 1 hour's drive to KL - the old one was much closer, that much I did remember.
When I got to the house Marianne was waiting up for me, and it was so great to see her again after almost 10 years!
She showed me my room, super comfortable with TV, own bathroom and she had even laid out all sorts of things for me - sun screen, mosquito repellent, etc. So very thoughtful! We had a glass of wine and chatted for a bit, before we said goodnight, and I snuggled in to my comfy bed and soon dozed off, after watching a bit of CNN - the first TV I had watched in about 3 weeks! I haven't really missed it, and it looked like the world is still in a big pickle, so I soon turned it off again.
The next day was a workday so I took it easy and got myself organized a bit, while Marianne, John and Annabelle were off to work and school, etc. Their housekeeper Vangie is a sweet Filipino lady, and she took such good care of me, made coffee, fresh papaya and orange juice, homemade, freshly baked rolls, took my laundry, etc. I feel so pampered, it's ridiculous (but very, very nice!) Then I went down to take a little swim in the pool, and before long Marianne and Annabelle came home for lunch. I finally got to meet Annabelle, who is now a big girl of 3 years! She is a doll, of course, and I am looking forward to get to know her better over the next few days.
That evening I gave Annabelle the book I had brought for her written by Robert Lewis, who runs Le Beau Soleil art gallery in Pacific Grove. She liked it, and wanted to read it again the next day - it's so simple that no doubt she will be able to read it herself soon!
After Annabelle was put to bed John came home from work, and I finally got to meet him in person - we had a lovely dinner out on the deck overlooking the skyline of Kuala Lumpur, and it was great getting to know Marianne's husband better - I really enjoyed his company, and they are both such gracious and generous hosts.

No comments: