Etzy

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting Familiar




It seems like the days fly by and I have already been here at the Art Center for 10 days! Last night was the opening reception for the January show and I volunteered to pour wine, which gave me a good chance to get to meet some of the people associated with the art center, as well as getting to know some of the other artists in residence better. Slowly I am starting to feel more like a part of it all here, and I am beginning to learn the stories of some of the other artists, and that's a nice feeling. Tonight was another reception held by the Board to thank the staff and volunteers of the art center and us Residents were invited as well, so many of the same faces I had seen the night before were here again, and gave me another chance to get to know the people who are an integral part of what makes Mendocino Art Center such a special place.
During the past couple of days I have been busy working on my paintings, and I am getting pretty close to finishing my big Moon painting, but I am struggling with an area of the Sunset painting. However, I think I have figured out what I need to change, so now I just have to find the courage to do it! I finally got started late this afternoon after having "tip-toed" around it for well over a day, so I think I will be well on my way to finish that painting also. While thinking about what to do I worked on a couple of smaller paintings, and they are coming along nicely.
Yesterday morning I got up early and wanted to go kayaking - I got down to Big River, but it was so cold that I decided that it really was not a great idea, so I went for a short walk instead, deciding that early morning paddles probably was not the most ideal this time of year, so tomorrow I think I will go for an early afternoon paddle instead, while the sun is high on the sky taking the worst chill out of the air. I can definitely feel that Mendocino is farther north than Monterey - it's much colderr here at night and in the mornings.

No comments: